Ruby Dunphy and Haley Freedlund Premiere TVTV
This weekend, we are very excited to host two good friends on the Racer Stage: Haley Freedlund, Racer Sessions' curator, and Ruby Dunphy, a frequent presence at the session and previous presenter.
Haley and Ruby, who both travel home to Illinois annually, recently had the opportunity to make this trip by car instead of plane. They traveled over four days from Seattle to Chicago, writing music about the trip together during and after their travels. Now home, they will present this music as a new duo, named TVTV.
Haley did a little bit of writing for us below - read on, and make sure to come out to Cafe Racer at 8pm on Sunday to catch these new tunes.
"I'd done this drive a few times, but only going east to west, and only ever to accompany others. This trip was also the culmination of so many coincidental things: Ruby and I both needed to go home around the same time, my partner was on a North American tour (which both left us with his Prius for the trip and meant we'd cross paths in the Midwest), and I had just finished working at my job of two years and didn't need to be back to start a new one. There was no real agenda, other than to 1) eventually get to Chicago and 2) make some memories worth writing music about. After that I would have some family time, play a few shows with Heatwarmer, and find my way back to Seattle.
Some notable memories:
- Ruby's first tent camp, in the middle of a lightning storm in Sentinel Butte, ND
- Making and eating amazing gnocchi at a homestay in St. Paul, MN after only eating gas station and diner food for three days
- Shotgunning a tall boy of Coors at 7am because I dropped while packing up the car and I didn't want it to go to waste
- Watching the Cubs destroy the Phillies 17-2 on TV while my dad and I cheered on at a tavern in Rockford, IL
- Playing a strange, tiny bar venue w/ Heatwarmer in Milwaukee, WI, and trying to find the last of the summer's lightning bugs after load-in
We'll present four improvisational sketches about specific moments on the trip, with Ruby on drums and vocals, and Haley on trombone, vocals, and electronics. No real jam session theme, but if you want, hone in on a moment in time and linger there for a while."